Saturday, 23 July 2022

Brighton (3rd -5th July 2022)

 


We stayed at an Airbnb just outside Brighton, and due to the lack of parking in Brighton City Centre, we decided to take Uber Taxis. This cost us about £20-24 return each day. Our first stop was the Mesmerist Pub which has a very disappointing roof terrace with no views, and although advertised for a soul, Motown evening, the staff had no idea about this and there was no live music, although they were very helpful and suggested other venues. They also served Caribbean food which we both wanted to try. We then visited 2 -3 pubs before finding live music in the Black Lion which was very good and then we returned back to the Mesmerist and had some very tasty food.


The next day was very hot and sunny and we went back to Brighton seafront. We had an exceptional breakfast at the Breakfast Club if very expensive and strolled around looking for the Lanes. They are full of artisan and retro shops which we eventually found 2 hours later after asking numerous people for directions. We then went on an open-top bus tour which was very informative if a tad windy and then had Vietnamese food at a restaurant called Pho. This like the Caribbean food was a first for us and very tasty indeed.


On the final day of our homeward journey, we went to the picturesque town of Lewes in the morning. It was very quaint and had a plethora of shops. We then headed to Hever Castle and gardens, which was the ancestral home of Anne Boleyn where we spent a very pleasant 3-4 hours exploring.




















                                  



I really enjoyed Brighton, it feels safe and relaxed and you don't feel threatened. Although Jayne said a few blokes were checking me out which never usually happens when I am out and about I didn't feel awkward. The people are friendly the shops eclectic and the food was phenomenal. Lewes is definitely worth a visit and Hever Castle is just beautiful.

I found Brighton to be a buzzing and interesting place, full of unusual shops and people. Our taxi driver was telling us that it is very much a town affected by the number of university students which gives it a young and vibrant feel. Personally, I was happy to wear my brightest, most flamboyant clothes and never felt out of place. I enjoyed the varied mix of different ages and personality types. Would definitely come back again! 

Lewes was a charming town with a vast array of shops along its high street. Very friendly people and a great place to stop for the morning. I found Hever Castle both beautiful and interesting. Very picturesque, the gardens being well maintained and stunning. The Castle itself was fascinating. I would say that it felt more like a stately home than a castle. The rooms were amazing to view especially with the headset guide which was freely available. The gift shop housed an exhibition of miniature replicas of period houses and rooms and gardens which I found astounding.

                                

                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife (2nd - 9th November)

This was my first visit to Tenerife, Jayne had been on numerous occasions, on family holidays, and said what a great place to visit. We stay...